To round out our easy entertaining suggestions for a patriotic Memorial Day Barbeque, here is a super simple but delicious homemade mixed berry pie.
Worlds Easiest Homemade Mixed Berry Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes active
Total Time: 15 minutes prep, 70 minutes +/- cooking
Skill Level: Easy, great to do with children
- 5 Cups Mixed Berries (Blueberries, Red and Black raspberries, or mixed assortment)
- 2 Pre-Made 9″ Pie Crust
- 1 Cups Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- Foil for Baking
CD Note: To make this pie 100% organic, use Cascada Farms Frozen Fruit, Wholly Wholesome 100% organic pie crust, organic sugar and flour. However, Costco also sells a great jumbo bag of mixed berries which can be used in this recipe and for smoothies.
- Optional step: Preheat the oven to 425 F. Cover the edges of 1 uncooked 9″ pie crust with foil before baking. Bake for 10 minutes on the bottom position. Remove. Turn the oven down to 375 F. This step helps to keep the bottom of the pie from getting soggy but it is not necessary. CD Timesaver: You may also put the frozen berries directly into an uncooked pie crust.
- While the pie crust is pre-cooking, place your frozen berries in a bowl. Let the berries sit out for about 10-15 minutes at room temperature.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour into the frozen berries. *See recipe note below.
- Place the berries into the pie crust.
- Place the 2nd pie crust on top of the bottom crust. If too large, you may trim off some of the end.
- Use your fingers and a fork to merge the top crust with the bottom. You can use the fork to make a fancy edge (easier if you didn’t precook the crust). To let the steam vent while cooking, put a couple of air holes in the top of the crust.
- Cover the edges with foil and bake on the bottom rack of a 375 F oven for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely on a metal rack.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or homemade whip cream (beat whipping cream, vanilla extract and confectionary sugar with a hand mixer until stiff).
*CD Recipe Note: The recipe above will result in a runny filling. For a thicker filling, add 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch (or tapioca) when you mix in the sugar and flour.
You really can make a natural, homemade pie in minutes.
CD Recipe Options: Make a crumb topping instead of using the 2nd pie crust or skip the pie crust all together and bake the fruit in a 9×9 glass pan with the crumb topping for approximately 45-50 minutes until the berries are warm.