Homemade Hummus in a Blender or Food Processor
Hummus is a healthy snack or lunch box option. Making it at home with your children is easy and fun. The best method is in a food processor - dump all the ingredients in and blend. However, if you do not own a food processor, it is possible to make it in a blender.
Homemade Hummus In A Blender
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10-15 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
Basic Hummus Ingredients:
- 1 Can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup Lemon (plus more to taste)
- 1 clove Garlic (plus more to taste)
- Olive Oil
- Cumin (highly recommended)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid. Pour the beans into a blender.
- Add 1/3 cup tahini, lemon juice, 1/2 cup reserved garbanzo juice. Blend.
- Continue adding and blending the garbanzo juice (another 1/2-1/3 cup) and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. If blender clogs, stop, stir, push down the hummus mixture and continue blending. Add 1 clove of peeled garlic. Add additional lemon and/or garlic to taste. Hummus will be ready when the mixture has a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Remove hummus from blender. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Hummus is now kid friendly.
- To serve for a party or for adults, add 1-2 teaspoons cumin, 1-2 teaspoons mild chili powder, stir. Make a small depression in the hummus.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Garnish with a dash of cayenne pepper and fresh parsley.
- Brush pita wedges with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and broil for 2-3 minutes. CD Timesaver: Toast pita in a toaster. Serve with hummus.
CD Optional Recipe Ideas: 1. Infuse the olive oil with parsley and drizzle on the hummus (skip step 7). 2. Blend in roasted eggplant (leave off steps 4-7). 3. Blend in 1/2 dried chipotle pepper and sun-dried tomatoes (leave off steps 4-7).
Serve with Greek Style Lunch Box Shakeup.