Mangos are truly a love them or hate them fruit. I happen to love them. They are delicious eaten fresh, dried, in a smoothie, in a salsa, as juice, in a drink… I could go on and on.
One of the challenges is figuring out how to cut them up. Learn the trick and enjoy more mangos!
How To Cut Up A Mango
- Find the “long” side of the mango. Slice in gently until you feel the pit inside. Mangos have large flat pits.
- Carefully angle your knife and slice along the side of the pit. Take care not to cut into the pit but try to get the most mango off of that side. Now you should have one side cut off the mango revealing the inside pit.
- Repeat on the other side. Do not discard the pit yet as there is still more mango to get around the pit.
- With the tip of a sharp knife (preferable a boning or paring knife) carefully make slits lengthwise down the inside of the mango. DO NOT slice through the bottom skin. You just want to cut into the flesh of the mango.Turn your mango and repeat the slits on the shorter side.
- You should end up with little squares. Repeat on the other side.
- Push the skin side inward, basically turning the mango “inside out”. Your little squares should separate.
- Now, slice off each square at the bottom where it meets the outside skin of the mango.
- Peal the outer skin off of the remaining pit. Slice and dice the mango flesh left on the pit.
- You should have just a skinny white pit left to discard.
- Enjoy your mango cubes.
CD Ideas: Check out these Top 20 Mango Recipes.