At Creative Dish, we are big advocates of finding easy ways for children to express their creativity. As parents, we do not always have a lot of free time to spend doing craft projects with our children. This easy coin pouch is a great project for both boys and girl.
Easy Felt Coin Pouch
Prep Time: Less than 5 minutes (Adults help young children cut the circles)
Skill Level: Easy
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Scissors or Xacto Knife (adult only)
- Measuring tape or Ruler
- Leather cord, ribbon or rope
- Coins optional
- Measure and mark an 8″ or larger circle on the felt. We traced an 8″ embroidery hoop.
- Cut out felt using fabric scissors or an Xacto knife (adults only). For a more feminine look, we used pinking shears on one.
- About 1/2 inch from the top of your circle, mark the felt in 1″ intervals. This is where the holes for the cord will go.
- Using the tip of the scissors, Xacto knife or a small hole punch, make slits or holes in the felt all the way around where you’ve marked the fabric.
- Start weaving the cord, ribbon or rope in and out of the holes. Leave about 4″ of the cord hanging out of the first hole.
- Continue weaving in and out.
- Make sure both ends of the cord are sticking out of the same side once the cord reaches all the way around the felt.
- Pull the pouch together (cord ends should be on the outside).
- Optional: Add coins and tie to your childs waist.
Design Ideas: We used a lace cord and pinking sheer for a “girls” version and a leather cord for the “boys” version.
More Creative Dish Design Ideas: Use black felt and add a Jolly Roger/Skull & Crossbones for Pirate Play. Try to top stitch embroidery.