There is usually some type of Mexican/Tex-Mex recipe on rotation in our house. One of our new favorites is the yummy pork fajita recipe. Pork is a great, low-fat way to change things up and absorbs flavors as well as chicken. Our secret ingredient in this recipe is cumin. This lovely spice adds a subtle flavor and depth. If you haven’t tried it you’ll soon become a fan.
Yummy Pork Fajitas with Cumin
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound of pork (we prefer thin boneless cutlets)
- Assorted bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Optional: Garlic
- 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lime juice
Serve with: Tortillas (warmed in foil in the oven) and your choice of guacamole, salsa, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream.
CD Time-saving Tip: Use approx 2 teaspoons pre-made fajita seasoning in place of last 8 ingredients.
- Slice pork, onions and peppers into long thin strips.
- Cook the pork in approximately 2 tablespoons of pre-heated olive oil on medium heat until outside is no longer pink.
- Add onions and peppers. If using garlic, add 2-4 pealed cloves for flavor (remove before eating). Add all remaining ingredients except for the lime juice.
- Continue to saute until vegetables are cooked down. (For “crispy” vegetables cook approximately 4-5 minutes, for soft vegetables cook for 10 minutes of so).
- Add the juice of 1 lime taking care to make sure no pits fall into the dish. Cook for a minute or 2 to incorporate.
- Serve with tortillas and garnishes.